Medieval village in High-Auvergne


Lords and co-lords

| House of Pleaux | House of Grenier | House of Rilhac |
| House of Lignerac |

HOUSE OF PLEAUX - Gules, Greyhound rampant Argent, Collared Azure and six Orle Billet Argent.

The first known by titles is Pierre of Pleaux, knight, living in 1159. One finds then Guillaume of Pleaux, witness of an exchange concluded between the abbot of Sarlat and Grandselve, in calends of September 1166. Raoul of Pleaux, knight and viguier of Pleaux, that lived in 1230, was father of four son Bernard, Raoul, Pierre and Hugues of Pleaux, all knights, this one compromised with the abbot of Charroux in 1279. Almodie of Pleaux nun of Brageac. Jean of Pleaux married to Marguerite de Merle. Sybille remarried to Géraud Robert of Lignerac to that she brings half of the earth of Pleaux in 1274. Raymond, abbot of Obazine from 1303 to 1328. Jean Bertrand, abbot of Beaulieu in 1449. Marguerite of Pleaux married in 1591 to François of Grenier.


HOUSE OF GRENIER - Gules, a Fess Or.

François of Grenier, husband of Marguerite of Pleaux, knight of St-Jean-de-Jerusalem in 1574. Henri of Grenier, co-lord of Pleaux in 1595. Henri of Grenier, son of the precedent, allied in 1626 with Catherine of Corn. Henri of Grenier, third of the name, rendered homage to the king in 1669 because of half of the earth of Pleaux. And Louis-Christophe of Grenier, knight, marquis of Pleaux that married Marie-Françoise Montclar-Montbrun. This last rendered homage to the king in 1722 because of the domain of Pleaux.


HOUSE OF RILHAC - Per Pale Argent and Gules, seven Coins.

The family of Rilhac has its name to an ancient feudal castle, flanked several towers, that one sees again in the village of Rilhac, from a small distance to the limit that separates the Cantal of the Corrèze. It is Limousin by its origin, but it belongs to the High-Auvergne by its constant relationships, its alliances, its possessions, the important role that it there has always played. From the year 1290, lords of Rilhac figure among benefactors of the abbey of Valette. It is necessary at least to mention Astorg of Rilhac, its son Philippe (1342), Géraud of Rilhac, Louis, knight of St-Jean-de-Jerusalem, commander of Carlat, Maréchal de l’Ordre in 1467. Guillaume, also of this order. Charles, married to Louise of Tournemire, François, co-lord of Pleaux, knight of the King’s Order, great bailiff of Salers, marshal of camp in 1651. Catherine married to Jacques of Robert-Lignerac and Jean of Rilhac, knight of the King’s Order, great bailiff of Salers.


HOUSE OF LIGNERAC - Argent, three Pales Azure.

The house of Lignerac, ancient and very illustrious, is stemming a barony situated in the Low-Limousin, near Turenne. Among the co-lords of Pleaux is Géraud having married in 1294 Sybille of Pleaux. In the ecclesiastical hierarchy we have to distinguished Adhémar Robert-Lignerac, archbishop of Senses, cardinal in 1342. Bertrand, bishop of Montauban. Charles Robert, prior. Guillaume Robert abbot of Uzerche. Religious Jeanne of Brageac. Charles Robert of Lignerac co-lord of Pleaux, that serves under Henri II. Gilbert, governor of Carlat in the religious war time. Pantaléon, delegate of the nobility of High-Auvergne to States General in 1588. François, captain of the queen Elisabeth of Austria, knight in the Order of the King in 1571, lieutenant of the king in High-Auvergne. Gilbert, its son, ordering a regiment of infantry. Gilles, that distinguished to the siege of Arras and Amiens (1597 and 1598). Edme, marshal of camp in the army of the Languedoc in 1618. François cordon de l’Ordre Saint-Michel in 1654. Joseph, corporal of army in 1705, lieutenant general in High-Auvergne, cross of Saint-Louis. Achille, great bailiff of the High-Auvergne. Joseph-Louis duke of Caylus in 1783, great of Spain, marshal of camp, Peer of France in 1814. François Joseph of Lignerac duke of Caylus, born in 1820 and death without posterity in 1905.


    


| Summary | History | Discovery | Sports & Leasures | Surroundings |
| Access | Accomodation & Restaurant | Bibliography |

Pleaux - High-Auvergne © 1996, 1997 by Vincent Di Sanzo